02 December 2013, 09:23 AM
  • Britain’s food producers are to be supported in setting up an international market, as part of the Government’s aim to increase exports and provide a £500 million boost to the UK economy
Food and Drink International Action Plan

Britain’s food producers are to be supported in setting up an international market, as part of the Government’s aim to increase exports and provide a £500 million boost to the UK economy

The plan is headed by UK Trade and Investment and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, in order to strengthen the food and drink industry which is currently worth over £90 billion and employs 400,000 workers.

Only 10 per cent of SMEs currently export overseas, with the remaining 90 per cent either only trading within Britain or with local European countries.

The plan was announced at Anuga, a trade event in Cologne, Germany, and seeks to increase British exports to countries such as China, USA, Brazil and Russia. A single UK identity will be promoted throughout.

Owen Paterson, environment secretary said, “Brand Britain is recognised and revered internationally. There are huge opportunities for British food companies to export all over the world and I’m determined to help our firms exploit them.”

Lord Green, trade and investment minister said, “Demand for British food and drink products overseas is growing fast and a 15% increase in overseas sales in the last two years is a clear sign of the opportunities available to the British food and drink manufacturers working in this sector. This Action Plan reinforces the UK Government’s support for such a prosperous sector with an emphasis on how together with industry, we can support businesses in the global export markets.”

more like this
  • World Cheese Awards Winners Announced

    28 November 2013
    A Bavarian blue cheese has been revealed to be the World Champion at the World Cheese Awards held at the BBC Good Food Show, NEC
  • Royal Responds to Horse Meat Scandal

    28 November 2013
    Following January 2013's horse meat scandal, during which Tesco discovered that its everyday value burgers were made of 29 per cent horse meat, calls are being made to review the population's opinion